Wednesday, December 15, 2010

One Year On ... Dec 2010

On 10 Dec (Friday), I was in Israel. I learnt in psychology class about Elisabeth Kubler-Ross model of grief: that people can experience denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance during the grief process (not necessarily in that order). I experienced it first hand since 10 Dec 2009. That evening after work, I was with some classmates at Sunbeam Children's Home, exploring how we could participate in a project that might help the caregivers of these children. Mid-way through, I received an sms from Ee Peng to check my email. Then Jenni called after receiving similar sms, as she was also outside. Told her to ask Charlie to check email instead. Charlie called to say that Leonard has been involved in a road accident and cried over the phone as he revealed that mom has passed on. I excused myself immediately and drove home straight. I cried all the way home with fleeting thoughts that bombarded me non-stop: what happened? a serious collision? what about the other passengers? was there an animal? a kangaroo? maybe Leo was in a blurr, mom was just injured, mom has high pain threshold.. she will make it, what did Leo do? did he tried talking to mom? Were they speeding? What thoughts crossed mom's mind while waiting for help? Etc, etc, etc. In one night, I experienced denial, anger and bargaining.

Upon reaching home, Ronald asked what happened and I could only say "computer". Calls to other siblings followed. Apart from the email, no other info was available. We just had to wait. Family meetings at Ong Lye started the next day... as information trickled in and key decisions had to be made. Everyone rallied to get things done as there were suddenly so many things to deal with, while our grief was temporarily kept in abeyance. I remembered the call from Michelle and our decision that she need not return. What followed was our descent upon Jess’s home – to attend the funeral in Perth.

Post-memorial, I experienced recurrent sadness that was triggered easily by mere thoughts of events involving mom: at my hospital bed when I delivered Michelle, she lying on my sofa watching the Taiwanese serial, on the bed in my guess room nursing her blue blacks after her knee operation, at the sight of her studio apartment at Ang Mo Kio, her vomiting post-surgery at SGH ward, etc. I cry spontaneously when I drive alone in the privacy of my car while driving in public. It happened again on mother's day during church service.


Months on, I still wonder (even though I know these wonderings are pointless at the rational level) whether it would have made a difference if:

- she had bought the flat at block 203 (she liked it so much)

- I had insisted on knowing her plans in detail (she last said Leo had arranged for somebody to fetch to airport)

- one of us had brought her elsewhere

- I had spent more time hearing her out, the list goes on...

The cycle of thought would usually end with a reminder that she has passed on and that is an unchangeable fact. No matter what I think or do will not make any difference now. I comfort myself with thoughts that she is in a better place, that her passing was quick, that she has lived well, that she was happy up to the eve of her death. So, this private process of straddling between sadness and acceptance continues. Only time will heal and the intensity of emotions will lessen slowly. This is how grieving goes, I suppose.


For info on grief and loss, see link:
http://helpguide.org/mental/grief_loss.htm

5 comments:

  1. hi Sachee
    welcome back! how was the Israel trip?
    Thanks for sharing....yes, time does help lessen the intensity...though sometimes i wonder if that's a good thing? I think sometimes that's seeking to numb ourselves and not feel?

    Yes, i often walk by that apartment in Blk 203 and sometimes wonder what it'd be like to have mom as our neighbor...i know the kids would have loved playing in her place...and now that that new mall is opened, she'd go shopping, have meals with us....

    The great comfort is that there will be all comfort at the fulfillment of time...maybe all these wishful thinking won't be that wishful as our deepest desires are all met in the ones who gives dreams =) All missed chances and opportunities can become possibilities!

    thanks for sharing...
    see you in about 2 weeks' time!
    cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ai Tee,

    Thanks for sharing from your heart - helps me to empathize with what you went through. I believe what you wrestled with has great value.

    While I am sad and grieved too, I don't feel the same intensity as you do. I wonder if there's something wrong with me???

    I sincerely hope we siblings can maintain good ties. I have to figure out how to do that well from afar....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess here, Jenni there is nothing wrong with you. I supposed those of you with young children will be very busy each day with your daily routines whilst Ai Tee and myself have kids that are adults now so we effectively have more time on our hands and thoughts. I recalled Leo and mum arrived on 1st Dec and I picked them from the airport after midnight, mum asked " we wont be leaving from this airport again?" I concurred meaning they will be leaving via domestic airport and not this international one, so we took our "last airport photo" I took them to Kings Park the next day and while Leo and family roamed around the park, I took mum to the cafe and we had fish and chips, while there she gave an update on all of you including Poh San and Ah Kim, she was very happy with everyone esp the last 2 years. She then mentioned that she was learning dancing with tambourine and about to commence her counselling course. I took them around for a week and to my church, cooked fish curry and chicken rice which she enjoyed at my place. I hired a car for them to go south from Monday for 4 days. I waved them off at the Car Hire then went to work. Eepeng gave them a local sim card so I called them every night, on wed night I called about 9pm and mum sounded happy that they had chinese food and was settling in, they were to leave for the hills the next day then head towards Perth so I will meet them near Perth airport on Friday morning before they fly to Gold Coast
    On thursday, after work I reached home about 4.30pm to receive a call from Leo who sounded distressed and said they had an accident and mum could not breathe but a passer by nurse resuscitated her then she breathe again and taken to hosp, I assured him mum should be fine if she is breathing. Conversation halted by doctor talking to Leo. An hour later, Leo called with great distress and was choking with tears crying " I killed mother" a police officer offered to break the news that Ivy and Felix were serious and had to be flown back to perth, mum passed on and Antonia had minor injury. I felt numb with disbelief. Like Ai Tee I questioned myself why, how, what if, I could feel Leo's sorrow and my first thought was to wait at perth hospital for Ivy and felix, because they had to be in different hosp I asked Dennis to wait for felix while I went to Ivy meanwhile wondering how to get Leo and Antonio and mum back from Albany ( 5 hours drive away) God answered the prayer, someone was coming up from Albany and linked us to him so Leo hitched a ride back 24 hours later
    The weeks that followed were a series of events: police interrogation, funeral arrangement and hosp visits, visitors etc and back to work. There was no time to think. Of course the months that followed were a mixed of emotions, grieve, anger, denial, self blame (I should have asked her to stay at my place instead of following Leo, I should take more leave to spend time with her etc)I questioned God, why? Like Ai Tee, I cried whenever I drive alone ( I did that when Hock Heng passed on)I grieve silently to GOD and I could feel God assuring me that they are all with him now, yes! they are in a better place waiting for us
    That's why I feel death is not to be feared, in GOD death is waving goodbye to suffering on earth and welcoming to His throne
    Thank God we are in His family and will reunite again. He gives us strength to move on
    Have a joyous Christmas everyone, see you in Jan 2011,
    May God's Blessings be with you. Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi everyone
    i actually avoided this blog because i was afraid no one would write anything. we get so busy and forget so quickly...i have seen it in so many people....
    Cat and i talk about mom..
    i also avoided Dec10th as a day to rem bec it's a day i dont beleive needed to happen.
    Yet, God in his kindness provided on that day and i am sure sent a sweet angel to carry my mom back to Him...
    some days i am so fed up with our human errors incl mine.
    then i rem, as ai tee referred, what Kubler said that grief can take years. so i am giving myself lots of time and permission to be sad.
    just recently i felt so sad that abi and phil weren't at perth with me. actually pretty mad. work always seem to come first.
    but then we really had a good Ho clan time tog.
    2011 has come. i am going to master a few of mom's dishes i hope, and continue to grow a sacrificial spirit like she showed me.

    ReplyDelete